The Public House & The Great Hall
The Public House (formerly Sir John’s Public House) occupies the building used by Sir John A. Macdonald as his law office from 1849 to 1860. Macdonald began his political career during this formative period and of course later became Canada’s first Prime Minister. He is credited as being the individual most responsible for Canada’s Confederation in 1867.The pub has a cozy atmosphere and reflects the style of the mid-nineteenth century when it was occupied by Macdonald. It is only fitting that today the building should be a Scottish pub heralding Sir John’s Scottish origins and his fondness for the drink. The pub features a good selection of imported and local beers and a large selection of Scottish single malts and blended whiskies. The menu is reasonably-priced and features many traditional Scottish dishes and contemporary casual dining. Customer favourites included the fish & chips, the Angus beef burger plate, the Forfar bridie meat pie, the turkey pot pie and the lamb shank. Other lighter and vegan plates are featured as well. A Sunday Brunch is offered from 10:30 to 3 p.m. and presents a variety of tasty dishes for just $10 each. Several lunch specials are available Monday to Saturday for just $10. From mid April to October 31 you can enjoy a beautifully decorated patio which faces King Street.
The Public House has one of the best happy hours in Kingston. From 4 to 6 p.m. enjoy Hospitality both in the main pub and upstairs in the Great Hall. Great discounts for draft beer, local wine and feature liquor with snacks at the bar. It is always popular with locals and visitors to Kingston as well.